As a rider, you learn to adapt to the obstacles in your path—be it pouring rain, intense heat, or anything in between. Your gear ought to do the same. SHIMANO’s Dynamic Layering System makes sure you’re ready to adapt to a constantly changing in-saddle experience.
Research has indicated that 37°C is the optimal core body temperature for riders to deliver power and remain comfortable. But riders find themselves in an incredibly wide variety of conditions and these often change suddenly and with no notice. A single day’s ride can take riders through a myriad of temperatures and weather elements. Regulating rider body temperature across these changing weather conditions and varying intensity levels is uniquely challenging. 37°C is designed as a year-around system to help optimize rider comfort, efficiency and performance.
With 37°C, we factor in things that are controllable
- - moisture management, wind penetration, and intensity
- - based temperature regulation, with things that can’t be controlled
- - like changing temperature and weather conditions.37°C utilizes unique combinations of insulating and wind/water blocking fabrics, Dynamic Layering, and strategically placed ventilation.
Control body temperature by utilizing aerodynamics to pull overheated air from the body surface.
Shield the cyclist from wind chill with wind blocking technologies that conform to the riding position.
Retain heat in critical areas to maintain core body temperature for sustained performance.
Regulate body temperature with the use of strategicallyplaced, rider-controlled zippers and vents.
Guard the rider from the chilling effects of spray, mist, rain, and snow.
Utilize innovation to create multiple layers, each working in harmony to maintain rider comfort.
OBJECTIVES OF MAINTAINING 37ºC ACROSS CONDITIONS
RIDE INTENSITY IS A CONSTANT VARIABLE
- HIGH INTENSITY RIDINGHeat build up from high intensity riding requires riders to dissipate excess heat
- LOW INTENSITY RIDINGLower intensity riding requires the rider to select comfortable, breathable items
- MEDIUM INTENSITY RIDINGApparel should be breathable and allow for active and passive ventilation of excess heat and protection from wind chill moisture
FOR 4 SEASONS
At SHIMANO, we understand that a day in the saddle is better described as Cold, Cool, Variable, Warm, or Hot. These 5 conditions apply to any combination of wind speed, moisture type, solar intensity, or humidity level nature has to offer. This is why we define and develop apparel based on 5 core riding conditions rather than the traditional 4 seasons. Apparel engineered for real riding conditions, no matter where you live, or what season the calendar says
5 CONDITIONS APPROACH Carefully crafted solutions are engineered as a system to maximize rider performance and maintain a core body temperature of 37°C in all conditions.
- HEATRETAIN HEAT
- MOISTUREMINIMIZE MOISTURE
- AIRFLOWBLOCK WINDCHILL
- HEATREGULATE HEAT
- MOISTUREREGULATE MOISTURE
- AIRFLOWREGULATE AIRFLOW
- HEATDISSIPATE HEAT
- MOISTUREEVAPORATE MOISTURE
- AIRFLOWMAXIMIZE VENTILATION
5 BODY ZONES
Stay equipped for wherever the road takes you. SHIMANO FUSION CONCEPT’s Dynamic Layering System combines our extensive knowledge of the rider experience and the way it varies in differing environments with our System Engineering philosophy to build apparel that works for riders across all weather conditions, intensity levels, and each of the body’s 5 zones.
- ・An apparel system to help cyclists be comfortable and efficient.
- ・Apparel engineered with technologies to adapt to the temperature and condition fluctuations of riding.
- ・Apparel utilizing fabrics, construction, and features that accommodate changes in riding intensity.
- ・Apparel which can pack and unpack at a moment’s notice for the unexpected.
- ・Apparel System Engineered for the unique physiological requirements cycling demands of each zone of the human body.
THE 5 BODY ZONES
- HEAD: COMMAND CENTER
- TORSO: POWER GENERATION
- HANDS: CONTROL CENTER
- LOWER BODY: DRIVE
- FEET: POWER TRANSFER