Shimano Advances Wireless Di2 Functionality
- PRESS RELEASE
New Di2 components, app and Bluetooth® wireless Di2 control create on-the-fly customization
Shimano today announced new, advanced wireless functionality for all of its E-Tube Di2 electronic bicycle component systems that allows instantaneous, handheld customization and control of Di2 drivetrains. Working in concert with Shimano’s new wireless-enabled and compatible Di2 components, the new Shimano E-Tube Project iOS and Android compatible app allows riders to customize and infinitely fine-tune their shifting on the tarmac or trail. These new Di2 components and app, working in concert, join Shimano D-Fly Data Management ANT wireless technology that riders have already employed with Di2 component systems.
In 2015, Shimano expanded the capabilities of its E-Tube enabled Di2 components with the Shimano D-Fly Data Management system that transmits Di2 and rider performance data as well as integrating with Shimano Sport Camera footage. Shimano Wireless Units with D-Fly added another dimension to the Di2 experience by wirelessly connecting riders to their Di2 data through compatible cycling computers through a proprietary private ANT wireless protocol.
New wireless capabilities and Di2 components
Shimano E-tube Di2 component systems now allow four points of control for riders and retail service staff, including three wireless connections and one wired connection. Wireless connectivity is the simplest Di2 / rider interface where retail service staff can now perform system checks and firmware updates wirelessly where the wired PC connection is mostly reserved for retailers servicing non-wireless Di2 bikes and OEMs performing initial set up on Di2 and STEPS equipped bikes.
New E-Tube Project Wireless
- Smart phone: Bluetooth® wireless connectivity through E-Tube Wireless App; Functions: Drivetrain customization, firmware update
- Tablet: Bluetooth® wireless connectivity through E-Tube Project Wireless App; Function: Drivetrain customization, firmware update, error check, pre-set
D-Fly Management System
- Third party cycle computer: ANT private wireless connectivity; Functions: Rider data including display, battery level, gear indicator and derailleur adjustment settings
PC Connector cable
- PC connection via PCE-1 cable: now primarily retail service tool for dealers and OEMs and full E-Tube functions - Drivetrain customization, firmware update, error check, pre-set
Shimano DEORE XT M8050 Di2 will be the first Di2 system with E-Tube wireless capabilities. The new handlebar-mounted SC-MT800 System Information Display included with the DEORE XT M8050 Di2 group now integrates ANT private and Bluetooth connectivity for rider data transmission and system customization functions, respectively. XTR Di2 System Information Display is additionally updated to be wireless compatible (SC-M9051).
SC-MT800 System Information Display
- Identify system status of: battery level, gear position, shift mode and FOX iRD suspension position; all at a glance
- Shimano Synchronized Shift mode switch with three modes available (S1/S2/Manual) and audible shift notification
- Precise derailleur adjustment with easy access adjustment mode and numerical adjustment indicator
- Wireless communication (ANT private/Bluetooth low energy) allows for easy to set up, customization and data utilization in the field with a smart phone, tablet and other mobile electronics
- Battery charging port
- 3 E-Tube ports
To enable E-Tube Wireless capabilities, Di2-equipped bicycles must include a combination of new E-Tube Wireless Units and new E-Tube Master Units. The options include:
Backwards compatible with E-Tube Di2 systems
With the proper aforementioned combination of the E-Tube Wireless Unit, Master Unit hardware and new E-Tube Project Wireless app, *previous generations of E-Tube Di2 components will be able to enjoy new wireless handheld control.
New E-Tube Project wireless software and apps will be available for download in summer 2016. Pricing has not yet been set. EW-WU101 wireless unit and BT-DN110 master unit will be available in August. New E-Tube Project software for Apple iPads is due out July 2016. New software for iPhones and Android tablets and phones will follow later in 2016.
*Previous generations of E-Tube Di2 components will be compatible with the E-Tube Project Wireless App excluding certain combinations of Alfine Di2 and ULTEGRA 6770 Di2 products that include SC-S705 information display, and SM-EW67A-E front wiring unit.