After setting the benchmark in mountain bike components with SHIMANO XTR M9100 and new DEORE XT M8100, Shimano rounds out its now entirely 12-speed performance mountain bike component lines with new SLX M7100. SLX M7100 cascades technology from new XTR M9100 and DEORE XT M8100 - namely Shimano’s signature premium shifting and braking performance - while maintaining the SLX hallmark of value and durability. Shimano SLX M7100 is available on complete bikes at bicycle retailers beginning in July 2019.
Employing the technological innovations found throughout XTR M9100 and DEORE XT M8100, new SLX components also have significant refinements to longstanding Shimano technologies that enhance riding performance and reliability for a broader range of riders. Examples of these innovations and refinements include:
- - Refined SERVO-WAVE brake levers match up with next generation I-SPEC EV RAPIDFIRE PLUS shifters featuring 2-WAY RELEASE, giving the rider more control and confidence.
- - The CN-M7100 chain’s extended inner link plate is a key component of incredibly smooth HYPERGLIDE+ shifting and improved chain retention of Shimano’s DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGMENT (DCE+) single front chain rings.
- - The new construction of the low-profile RD-M7100 SHADOW RD+ rear derailleur improves shift quality, range of adjustment and chain retention while allowing for a wide range of gearing options.
The new 12-speed SLX M7100 drivetrain offers wide range and rhythm step cassettes with single and double front chainrings and delivers Shimano’s widest range 1x12 gear option with the new 10-51T SLX cassette. Additionally, Shimano refined chain line specifications for SLX M7100 including a 55mm chain line, ensuring that the drivetrain is optimized for a greater variety of frame designs.
Inheriting revolutionary HYPERGLIDE+ technology also found on XTR M9100 and DEORE XT M8100, the SLX M7100 group uses completely redesigned chain plates and shift ramps which guide the chain both up and down the cassette providing faster, smoother shifting in both directions even under incredible pedaling power.
Adding to SLX M7100’s smooth drivetrain transmission, the new CN-M7100 HG chain features SHIMANO’s DYNAMIC CHAIN ENGAGEMENT (DCE+) technology. An extended inner link plate of the chain connects seamlessly with new chainring tooth shapes for better chain retention and smoother, quieter pedaling. The new design reduces natural vibrations normally caused by the inner and outer chain plates rolling onto the chainring while also providing stronger contact between the two components.
- 172mm Q-Factor
- 52mm chain line works with 142 or 148 O.L.D.
- Prioritizes narrowest possible Q factor
- 178mm Q-Factor
- 55mm chain line works with 148 O.L.D.
- Prioritizes frame and tire clearance
- 181mm Q-Factor
- 56.5mm chain line works with 157 O.L.D.
Expanding SHIMANO’s legendary mountain bike braking technology to more riders, SLX increases braking performance and includes both 2-piston and 4-piston calipers to deliver the right amount of power for a variety of terrain and riding styles.
The SLX M7100 brake levers are designed after XTR M9100 and DEORE XT M8100 with more inboard clamp position and added bracing for increased efficiency and control. The new design minimizes impact on cockpit real estate, creating space between the clamp and support point for mounting other handlebar accessories.
SHIMANO SLX M7100 series components are available beginning in July 2019.