2018 Online Marketplace Strategy and New Retailer Agreements
We thank you for supporting Team Shimano Brands in the past and we hope to continue to earn your business in the future. As a global leader in creating and manufacturing innovative cycling products, we continue to strive to improve our business and brand. This letter is to notify you of a few steps we are taking to better manage our brands moving forward.
After a thorough study of best practices and results of other leading global brands, we have decided we must adapt our online marketplace strategy. Our primary goal is to enhance our brand value in an
We will roll this out with the Shimano Footwear, Apparel
WHY WE ARE LAUNCHING A NEW ONLINE MARKETPLACE STRATEGY
- The emergence and growth of online marketplaces (Amazon, Jet.com/ eBay etc.) have changed the retail landscape.
- We must be engaged directly with the major online marketplace players in order to be in a position to positively influence how our brands are presented on these marketplaces.
NEW ONLINE MARKETPLACE STRATEGY – ACTIONS WE ARE TAKING
- Manage our brands on the online marketplace channels by taking the following actions:
- MAP Policies – Effective Immediately for Shimano Softgoods, Pearl Izum
- Update current MAP policies for Pearl Izumi, Lazer and Shimano Footwear and Shimano Soft Good Categories
- New Retailer Agreement – Required for all retailers selling our product in all sales channel (See below to sign)
- Standard Retail Terms – Standard retail terms for brick and mortar store sales
- Online Retail Terms – Outlines areas of how we will manage online and marketplace sales
- Monitor the evolution of the market and will evolve our market strategies to address the business needs and opportunities accordingly.
- To accomplish the above Shimano will take an active role selling on select online marketplaces at
- Timing and Categories and Brands Included
- Effective Immediately: MAP policies for Shimano Soft Goods, Pearl Izumi
- July 1, 2018: We will actively manage and take over listings for Shimano Pedals, Shimano Footwear
WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO
- Review and sign the new retailer agreement before July 1, 2018
- Direct any questions to Shimano, your rep and or inside sales team.
We realize that this is only a step with a small subset of our products. To enhance and protect our brand value and our retailers in the market, we intend this to be the first step
We appreciate your support and understand that we must work to earn your business every day. We look forward to continuing to support you and your businesses moving forward.
Assistant VP Bicycle Component Division
This window is for signature purposes, you will receive a copy upon completion. Please click here for easier reading of agreement.
Nolan Moser is the Assistant Vice President of Shimano's Bike Division in North America. This podcast is a conversation with Nolan and bike retailers in several cities across the US to clarify some of the updates to MAP policies on Team Shimano brands. Listen to hear their questions and concerns about the new online marketplace strategy.